Can acne be treated?
Currently, there are many effective acne treatments. In Mint Medical Aesthetics we treat acne using a holistic approach depending on the severity of acne. This includes :
- A detailed assessment by our doctor
- Discussion of patient’s concerns, preferences, schedule, budget
- Formulation of a treatment plan
- Regular follow up to assess progress and further fine tune treatment
There are many causes that contribute to acne, including genetic, hormonal etc. Not every acne treatment works for everyone who has acne so a customised plan has to drawn up for each patient. Acne can be a frustrating condition to battle with, especially for teenagers. If left untreated it can frequently lead to unsightly blemishes, scarring resulting in low self esteem and even depression. People who have mild acne have a few blemishes. They may have whiteheads, blackheads, papules, and/or pustules (aka pimples). Many people can treat mild acne with products that you can buy without a prescription. A product containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid often clears the skin. This does not mean that the acne will clear overnight. Despite the claims, acne treatment does not work overnight. At-home treatment requires 4-8 weeks to see improvement. Once acne clears, you must continue to treat the skin to prevent breakouts.
What are the cause of acne?
Acne appears when a pore in our skin clogs. This clog begins with dead skin cells. Normally, dead skin cells rise to surface of the pore, and the body sheds the cells. When the body starts to make lots of sebum (see-bum), oil that keeps our skin from drying out, the dead skin cells can stick together inside the pore. Instead of rising to the surface, the cells become trapped inside the pore. Sometimes bacteria that live on our skin, p. acnes, also get inside the clogged pore. Inside the pore, the bacteria have a perfect environment for multiplying very quickly. With loads of bacteria inside, the pore becomes inflamed (red and swollen). If the inflammation goes deep into the skin, an acne cyst or nodule appears. (Reference : American Academy of Dermatology www.aad.org)
What are the treatments available at Mint Medical Aesthetics?
Can light based therapies help reduce acne?
What is Aqua Acne Peel?
Aqua Acne Peel using hydradermabrasion technology that can be a stand alone treatment or an add-on adjunct treatment to laser or Acne Light Therapy. It is a 3 step medical aesthetics procedure consisting of :
- Diamond microdermabrasion – to remove old and dead cells / blemishes
- Pneumatic Infusion of peel cocktail of Salicylic acid, honey extract, tea tree extract and spiraea ulmaria – penetrates oil glands to unclog pores and reduce oil production revealing clearer cleaner skin
- Pneumatic Infusion of anti-oxidant cocktail to calm & nourish the skin and restore balance